I got this cute sweater from my favorite store, Anthropologie, that needed a little jewelry embellishment (okay…that is an excuse to create). Well I’ve made these lariats before and I thought this would be a match made in creative heaven. The leather lariat is so much fun and versatile—you can double wrap it around your neck, wear it long or wrap it around your wrist. I also love the combination of leather with crystals.
• Approximately one foot of wire or jump rings (basically something to attach your pendants to)
• Chain (I used 10 links of 9x6mm open-link chain)
• Different combination of crystal beads, pearls or whatever you have—30-36 beads, 6-8mm
• End cap (be mindful that this should match the leather size)
• Jewelry glue for the end cap (optional)
• Leather (I like 1.5 – 2mm antique leather) –36”
• Rhinestone balls
• Rhinestone rondelles
• Two crystal pendants (you can use the same but I like the contrast of either shape or color)
*–Headpins–the amount to match beads used
The first thing I do once I gather my materials is wire wrap all of my 6-8mm beads. I then take one of my five-link chains and begin opening up their loops and attaching 3 beads per link. I do the same for the other link. I attach the pendant with either wire or jump rings. Sometimes I add my extra beads to fill in the pendant area. I then take 36” of my leather and attach the end caps to the bottom. After that, just attach each of your five-link clusters to the end caps.
This is a great holiday gift!!! Have fun creating—there really are no rules except to enjoy yourself!!!
Sparkles and fun,
WARNING: THESE CAN BE ADDICTIVE TO MAKE!!!